The new BA (Hons) Theatre degree at The University of Bolton is designed and delivered in association with ourselves and the university.
This ground-breaking partnership between university and theatre has created many collaborations and projects throughout the years and now has produced a distinctive degree course which combines academic study with a deep insight into the world of professional theatre. Strong, practical and creative experience of theatre throughout the course will focus on developing creative professional practitioners who will have the skills and knowledge to work within the performing arts community, the wider creative industries sector or education.
- You will meet, work with and have regular contact with Octagon Theatre staff, actors and practitioners, many of whom have national and international renown.
- You will be given a unique opportunity to observe the production process of two plays per year directed by the Octagon Theatre’s Associate Artistic Director and the University of Bolton’s Professor of Theatre, David Thacker.
- Our excellent industry links mean we can offer you an exciting range of placements across the North West.
- The course combines a rich variety of practical learning activities, centered around the processes involved in the creation of specific theatrical productions.
- The course provides you with a broad introduction to all aspects of technical theatre, theatre design, performance and management with the opportunity to undertake specialist option modules at levels 2 and 3.
- You will also have opportunities to learn about the craft of the professional playwright through exposure to contemporary practice of theatre writers and you will experiment with writing for theatre under the guidance of a professional playwright.
FInd out more
Teaching will take place primarily at the university campus although some travelling will be required, including for your industry placement.